“To learn how to achieve concentration, the body first must be purified, and then mental strength developed. The method for purifying and strengthening the body is called asana. When the body is purified, the breath also becomes purified, and the diseases of the body are eliminated.”
Links and description for you to explore!
Please feel free to share your feelings & insights that you have around any of the content on this website or any other websites that we link with.
1. The website of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois of the Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute in Mysore, India. Explore the website of a living Master of Ashtanga Yoga!
2. The website of R. Sharath, grandson of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois and Assistant-Director of the Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute in Mysore, India. Sharath is noted to be the most advanced student of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois having mastered the first 5 series of Ashtanga Yoga and is now working on several asanas (postures) in the 6 th and final series. Sharath is an inspiration to his many students all around the world.
3. The website of Ashtanga Yoga Hawaii. This site offers information about “Authorized” and “Certified” teachers on the Hawaiian Islands as well as Special Events offered throughout the year…plus rental and travel info!
4. The website of Manju Jois. This is the son of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois of Mysore, India. Manju lives and teaches in California as well as travels the world sharing the traditional teachings of Ashtanga Yoga as his father taught him.
5. The website of the daughter of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, Saraswathi. She has a lifetime of on the job training from her father, as well as being the mother of Sharath Rangaswamy. Saraswathi teaches in the traditional manner that she learned from her father.
6. The website of a very special couple who just might be the most inspiring “yogis” to come around:
Olaf and his wife Nina, a.k.a “NILAF” of Southern Oregon. Checking out their site is always a powerful yogic experience!
7. The website of Anthony “Prem” Carlisi, ASHTANGA YOGA BALI! Prem began his Ashtanga Yoga journey with Sri K. Pattabhi Jois in 1978. “Awesome Inspiration!”
8. The website of Heather Duplex, ASHTANGA YOGA BALI! First in L.A and now on Bali, Heather has 20 years of devotion and experience with the Ashtanga Yoga system. In addition, she is also a nutritional marvel, offering classes and insights on vegetable diets, raw food and Indian foods too!!
9. The website of Ashtanga Productions! This is a site selling the Primary Series DVD with Sharath Rangaswamy of the Sri K. Pattabhi Jois Ashtanga Yoga Institute in Mysore, India. Fantastic Ashtanga DVD!
10. The website of the “GURU” movie about Sri K. Pattabhi Jois of Mysore, India shot around his 90th Birthday Celebration July 2005. Directed by Robert Wilkins.
11. The website of the “Mysore Style” PHOTO BOOK shot in July 2005 during the 90th Birthday Celebration of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois on location in Mysore, India. Photographer Graeme Montgomery, Art Director Giles Kershaw and Stylist/Illustrator Mark Whitaker have produced a fantastic look at what life is like around Sri K. Pattabhi Jois…”Mysore Style”.
1. Classic film of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois speaking about the Ashtanga Yoga method.
2. Yoga film from 1938 with Yoga Master T. Krishnamacharya
3. Part of the Primary Series of Ashtanga Yoga instructed by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
4. Part of the Intermediate Series of Ashtanga Yoga instructed by Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
5. Early teaching of Western students with Sri K. Pattabhi Jois
6. Sri K. Pattabhi Jois teaching Advanced students
7. The last day of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois’ visit to the Island of Kauai doing the closing Prayer of Ashtanga Yoga.
8. Sharath Rangaswamy doing a DEMO
9. Sharath Rangaswamy doing BACKBENDING
10. Sri K. Pattabhi Jois teaching at age 87 in London
1. The website of Ram Dass. Our dear brother Ram Dass NOW lives in Hawaii on the Island of Maui, sharing his wisdom with the local community. A true heart felt gratitude for all the “self-less reporting” of his life experience! Mahalo-
Let’s all remember his words this time around…”BE HERE NOW.”
2. The website of Eckhart Tolle. The author of the fabulous book “THE POWER OF NOW.”
Eckhart Tolle’s work is nothing short of GREATNESS! Check his site for teaching tour dates and information about his products. The title of his book says it all! “NOW”
3. The website of OSHO. One of the most important teachers the world has seen and his sharing of the truth is always an experience that lets us look at ourselves with SPACE. “Yoga found this basic thing, that breathing is deeper than thinking. If you change your breathing, you change your thinking. And once you know the key-that breathing has the key-you can create any climate that you want. It is up to you. It depends on the way you breathe.”
4. The website of Vipassana Meditation. Take a look at this wonderful tradition of Meditation by doing a 10 day silent practice at one of their International Vipassana Meditation Centers. This is said to be the original teachings of the Buddah!!!
5. The website of Ramesh Balsekar of Bombay, India. He is a Master of Advaita (non-duality) and gives talks in his home in Bombay. Ramesh simply says, “Consciousness is all there is”…explore the work of a very special Master!
1. The website of ALOHA VEDA HAWAII.
Be One with Tradition!
A website which combines the Ancient Hawaiian Lomi Lomi Healing with Ancient Indian Ayurvedic Treatments..also includes Massage Training, Jyotish/Vedic Counselling, Ayurvedic Lifestyle Consultation, Ayurvedic Cooking Classes and much more.
Susan Wilesmith has been studying and learning the traditional culture of both these ancient forms of healing with several different teachers over many years.
2. The website of Kauai Yoga Photographer
Blaine Michioka. Blaine has shot many famous photos on Kauai, such as the Hawaiian Hula series at the Kauai Airport, but is best known for his ongoing series of breathtaking YOGA CALENDERS. He has for several years now produced super beautiful Yoga Asanas images on the Hawaiian Islands shot with respected teachers from each of the Islands. Please take a look at the 2009 YOGA CALENDAR which features Pineapple Yoga Instructor Eagle for 2 of the calendar months.
3. The website of SECOND SKIN NATURALS. This is a wonderful answer to those “mosquito calls” while in paradise on Earth. Second Skin NaturalsпїЅ Hawaiian Mosquito ShieldпїЅ is a natural mosquito repellent made on Kaua’i. It is safe, effective, and doctor recommended for babies and children. It is a unique water based blend of Kaua’i Spring Water, Hawaiian Herbs, Extracts and Pure Essential Oils.
4. The website of GMO-FREE KAUAI! The name of this website speaks the message of its intention. “NO GMO ON KAUAI” The mission of this organization is to educate the public about the health, economic, and environmental risks of genetically modified organisms, while providing meaningful ways to work towards a GMO-FREE KAUAI. Mahalo to everyone who supports this very serious matter on our beloved Kauai!
5. The website of “THE GARDEN ISLAND”, Kauai’s newspaper. Serving Kauai and Ni’ihau since 1902! News, classifieds, sports and employment all on-line without all the paper. Mahalo from the tree family!
6. The website of Mr. Green Energy. We are a resource site for alternative and necessary energy products and information. We are excited to bring the tools & information for you to get off the grid, double your mileage on your vehicle and reduce or eliminate your energy bills.
This is the KIND way of living on Earth!
7. The website of Kauai Community Radio KKCR “Organic Radio Rooted on the Garden Island”. The home base is on the North shore of Kauai featuring a huge range of music, teachings and communtiy related efforts. This is just about the BEST radio station anywhere, much less in the middle of the pacific ocean! Go to www.KKCR.org and LISTEN to LIVE RADIO on Kauai, Hawaii-
8. The website of The Aurora Foundation. This Foundation contributes to the well being of children in beed, by supporting health, education and cultural heritage programs that nurture sustainable community development. The Aurora Foundation is composed of friends and Family of Aurora Fehring and Alan Dingwall, and their son Rowan, who were prematurely taken from us during the Koloko Dam disaster on March 14, 2006. The Aurora Foundation was formed to continue the work to which Aurora had dedicated her life, which is focused around improving the lives of children, at home and abroad. Please visit the website to see how you may support the VISION!
1. The website of the “Locks of Love” non-profit organization who makes wigs and hair pieces for children who have hair loss from medical treatments. Eagle has made two donations to this very worthy organization both of which were over the 10 inch minimum. (making him a “Bald Eagle” now) If your hair is at least 10 inches you can donate it to this address 2925 10 th Ave. North, Suite 102, Lake Worth, FL 33461 or contact them at 888.896.1588
2. The website of Eagle Rehab in Austin, Texas. This is a physical and occupational therapy out patient clinic with four locations in the “Heart of Texas”. Serving Austin for the past 10 years. Visit the site for locations and details!
3. The website of great inspiration born from the mind of Alex Grey! He does art like no other……”Enjoy! You will never be the same after you experience Alex Grey”.
4. The website of Bill Megalos. Take a look at the work of a man who cares for others as though he is the other, while he uses FILM as the means of reflecting his LIGHT! Bill teaches film making all over the globe. A true gift to the world!
5. The website of PROFESSIONAL RACQUETBALL! This was Eagle’s career covering a 17 year period of International and Professional play…..both before and after major back surgery. The sport hosts racquetball speeds around 200 mph…..yes the yoga worked for Eagle. Like MAGIC!!!
6. The website of the United States National Racquetball Association. Go and expolore how you can get involved in the “fast furious fitness” sport of RACQUETBALL!